One in ten adults has type 2 diabetes in Nicaragua.
Within ten years, it is estimated that 4 out of 10 adults will have type 2 diabetes…40% of the adult population.
|40% of Nicaraguan children are malnourished|
Secondly Nicaraguans put on weight because of what they eat.
|Plantains...all cooked with oil and salt|
Why don’t they eat better? Well let’s compare prices:
- A pound of rice costs $0.48 while a pound of chicken costs $1.36
- A pound of beans cost $0.52 to a pound of fish $0.70 (this is cheap fish with the head and all)
- 4 plantains cost $0.96 to 4 small heads of broccoli $4.00
- 12 tortillas cost $0.96 to 12 eggs $1.92
- 1 liter of regular oil is $1.40 while olive oil is $9.35
|Sugar is a cheap source of calories|
And when your life is spent in a one room house with a dirt floor, 2 light bulbs, maybe a radio or TV, and life is one struggle after another, then adding some sweetness…or a lot of sweetness because sugar is so very cheap…well it makes life a little more tolerable.
In other words…why is type 2 diabetes growing so rapidly in Nicaragua?
*World Vision says 40% of Nicaraguan children are malnourished.