Translate

Friday, May 6, 2016

Mama

Mike and I were with my mother in South Carolina in April.  Mama had a stroke in November while I was with her and then had two or three more.  She is doing remarkably well and working diligently on her rehab…this was after much touch-and-go with her for over two months.


We took her to see her best friend, Martha…or “Mahthah” as Mama pronounces her name.  Martha was thrilled to see Mama out-and-about and told us how much she loved Mama…

“Peggy taught me about forgiveness.”  
“Peggy is a friend you tell her anything and you know that secret would stay with her to the grave.”  
“Peggy is true.”

Mama has taught me, Kathleen, much of how to be a decent person.

She taught me kindness by her actions.  I remember her fretting because it was snowing before Christmas and the mail might not run…she had asked Daddy and us kids to give her for Christmas a child to support through the Christian’s Children’s Fund and she wanted to see the photo of that child on Christmas Day.

Mama modeled for me practicality. 

When she sat me down for “the Talk” she laid out why she wanted me to wait until marriage but ended it on “If you have a baby, it will be YOUR baby.  No more outings, dates, etc.  YOU will care for that baby…are you ready for that?” 

Smoking?  First was all the health reasons (her daddy died from lung cancer when she was 6 years old) …then, “It turns your teeth and nails yellow.  You and your clothes smell like smoke.  And it costs money.”  THAT one had me.  

Forgiveness?  “Forgiveness is for you, Kathleen, much more than it is for others.  If you forgive, hatred will not eat away at you.”

God?  “Believing in God is for me.  It is just easier to get through my life believing than not.  I don’t KNOW if there is a God or not, but it seems like believing is a better way to live…easier to be kind and good.”

Mama taught me how to be a mother.  One of the most important lessons she taught me was to learn from our children.  Parents frequently think they know it all, but we don’t.

And our children do teach me…they teach me so much.  They have their own wisdom, joy, practicality, humor, and kindness that astounds me…this may be one of her greatest lessons to me…to learn from our children.  It is because of her, I am open to listen and engage with our children and in turn whole new worlds keep opening for me. I not only love our children, I delight in them and enjoy them immensely.  

I hope as a mother, our children received from me ways to live a good life as I did and still do from my mother. 

I really hope they will learn from their children or if they do not “breed” they will learn from their nieces, nephews, and their friends’ children, because new generations have much to say.  We do well to pay attention.
-Kathleen