Translate

Saturday, March 7, 2009

International Women's Day - Nicaragua

March 8th is International Women’s Day (IWD). It was first observed on 28 February 1909. It later came to be observed as a memorial to the women who died in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 25 March 1911*, the worst work place disaster in New York City until 9/11.

Women who sewed blouses (shirtwaists) were caught in a fire and the exits were locked. The owners claimed innocence but did have to pay $75/victim damages in a civil suit while the two owners were paid $400/casuality by their insurance. This fire became a symbol for women workers worldwide….146 women died…many jumping 9 floors to their death to get away from the fire.

In 1985, I came to Nicaragua on a Witness for Peace Women’s Delegation to observe International Women’s Day. Great! I wanted to come to Nicaragua. I like being with women…I knew nothing about IWD. We walked parts of a road from Esteli to San Juan de Limay so that mothers of children, who were slaughtered by the U.S.-backed Contra, could place crosses in their memories near the places where their children had died and often been tortured.

Needless to say it was an intense, sad, and humbling experience. We got to the small town of Limay and they had an “acto” or program for and with us in honor of IWD. They told us why we celebrated or remembered IWD…imagine my surprise to know that it had happened in my country and I had had no idea…and I was a history major. It has constantly amazed me how much the Nicaraguans teach me about Nicaragua, my own country, and the world.

Women laborers need a day of recognition. They work hard in the work place, get paid less than men, and then go home and care for the family. They are strong, courageous, and hold society together. Happy International Women’s Day!

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire