Translate

Thursday, February 20, 2014

New Lesson for Today



Some weeks you have one thing after another coming at you…you know the feeling.  

This is one of those weeks.  If you follow the blog you know we were going to write the next few blogs about our goals, but instead the week is going nutty…including a Rotary Club meeting to welcome the governor of the district right in the middle of all the the craziness.  It was a BAD day to be having a luncheon meeting.  We were short-staffed, behind in paperwork, and running.  Plus...

My dad was in the hospital in the SC, I had just gotten word that a friend was dying in a NC hospital ….my mind was in many places.

And like so many things that Nicaraguans do…the meeting ran on and on.  And I start fidgeting, sighing to myself, and fidgeting some more.  Eventually the agenda was checked off: Becca did a great power point presentation showing all that the club had accomplished in its first year as a legitimate Rotary Club; the governor was through talking; and it was time for lunch…2 hours later!  

Finally!  We could eat and get back to the work waiting on us and I could check email.  Relief was in sight!

Then come the dancers…you have GOT to be kidding me!

Of course, I KNOW better than to expect a Nicaraguan meeting to be over by JUST being over.  Dancing is a part of almost all special functions especially the Folklorico…the traditional folk dancing with the beautiful flowing skirts and the flowers in the hair, but let’s face it...

 I wanted to be back at work and checking on loved ones.

 The music of the marimbas started and the tiny woman came out in her bare feet, smiled so large and started dancing.  I have seen her street clothes…she is not a wealthy woman at all…and here she was gracefully gliding around while we stood around watching.

I stood for awhile.  Went and sat in the other room and prayed for Daddy and Connie and Connie’s family.  I got up and down watching and praying… and then for the tiniest of moments, I felt settled in my soul…and I gave thanks that there is ALWAYS time to dance in this country…and maybe that is the lesson for the day:
Always make time to dance.*
-Kathleen
*A blog about goals can wait a few more days.