Translate

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Redistribution or I'm Gonna Pop Some Tags

Karaoke is a big thing with all our kids, even Tiff loves to watch.  One song I LOVED to hear Coury, Daniel and Joseph do is the rap song “Thrift Shop.”

“I’m going pop some tags.  Only got twenty dollars in my pocket…”

“Thrift Shop” was always a crowd pleaser at their favorite karaoke place in Managua.  Besides loving to hear them sing…and I LOVE thrift shops!

When we ran shelters, it was always fun to look in the “Free Box”…donations that came to the shelters.  We were paid (and still are) $5,000/year and the free boxes helped us, as well as our guests, have clothes or shoes.  When Tiff and Jessica were little they would get all excited to see what treasures might await them.

In the blog on reusing and reducing, I failed to mention redistributing.

I am loathe to throw away stuff.  I can give away easier, but I keep thinking “but what if I need it later?”  We don’t make the kind of salary to be able to go re-buy stuff.

Our friend Jim Trowel enjoys decorating, and when he visited us many years ago I asked him what we could do with this house of ours. He said, “Well the first thing you need to do is get rid of 50% of your stuff.”*

Redistributing means that less has to get made and transported.  It is great for the environment!  Going to thrift shops means reusing.  Giving to shelters, food pantries, thrift shops means less for the land fills.  Most items can be used for long periods of time after someone else is tired of it. 

It is so much fun to just see what is there in the thrift shops.  

It is freeing to get rid of your stuff if you have stuff in abundance, because there are people…many people…who would love to have some stuff, because they have little.

Redistribution of clothes, shoes, household goods, toys, games, puzzles, and let’s not forget wealth…never forget wealth...is freedom.  It’s fun.  It’s right.
-----------
 *To be honest he didn’t say “stuff”!
-Kathleen