Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Choosing



As a Community, we worship together on Monday nights…well, when we are not with delegations, or working late, or just overwhelmed....although we should always do it.  It helps us focus.  Often we have a reading and we reflect, sharing our thoughts and seeing where it leads us….frankly most of the time, it leads far, far away from the reading.
Monday we read about making a choice…about how choosing a path is sometimes the most important part even more important than the follow through. Mike noted that not making a choice is part of being privileged.  Most often, people who just “ride” life out are able to do so because they don’t need to choose.  Not choosing is a luxury of the wealthy…and a luxury the “haves” enjoy all too well. 

Martha with her daughter Abril
Martha, of Guitarra Madera Azul, is dying of cancer and has been for a long time.  She has chosen life and has fought and fought and fought.  I often times think that I would have given up long ago and let death choose me…she suffers so, but she in her family she is the best bread winner…and they are poor.  She has been the one to help raise her sisters and she has a daughter who needs her desperately.  What will happen if she gives up?  So for today, she is still breathing and when awake, taking care of her family.* (Note: Martha has since passed away, see here for more information)

Sometimes I am too fearful to choose.  When we, the JHC, chose to go out on a limb, take a loan out for spinning plant machinery, take our collective retirement, emergency health care money, and make a cash guarantee on that loan…I thought, “what will happen if something goes wrong?”  And it did…Jack Coker took our $150,000 down payment and did not live up to his end of the bargain.  The spinning cooperative folded, we are paying off more than $230,000 -- the biggest loan we have EVER taken out, and YET choosing to side with the cooperative was right…I was glad to have community members who challenge me to choose despite my fear.

In January we had a clinic staff meeting where I asked everyone to dream of what they wanted for the clinic…beautiful dreams were expressed.  And as I took notes and listened to our staff member’s dreams to make the clinic better and better, I got more and more afraid…”what if we start this?”  “How are we going to pay for it?”  “How are we going to staff all these projects?”  “I’m so very tired.”

So what do I do…do I wait and not choose?  Or do I take a deep breath and take a step on a path?  Taking that first step, making that one choice to do what is right is often the hardest…it is scary, overwhelming, and daunting.

What holds me back? It is my fear of being sucked dry and being left an empty shell.  What holds you back? -Kathleen