Translate

Monday, December 9, 2013

Second Candle: Peace



On November 15th my son Coury played Mercutio in a Spanish version of Romeo and Juliet.  Another of my sons, Joseph, had a walk-on role in the musical…yes, it was a musical.

As the proud mama I watched Coury sing, dance, act, sword fight, and then die.  I knew Mercutio dies.  I know the story, but I was not prepared for my response.  Coury was no longer Mercutio…he was my son, and I watched him die.  Then my other son came on stage and was part of a crew that lifted him on their shoulders and carried him in procession.

I had flashes of all those photos and videos from wars and riots of brothers carrying their dead brothers in processions…their brothers’ bodies bloodied; their brothers’ bodies wrapped; their brothers’ coffins.  And I cried.  In that moment I began to understand on a real emotional level the absolute grief of mothers around the world. I began to empathize. 

How do we stop the violence?  In this version of the play both mothers sing songs of pain and grief and then the fathers agree to reconcile their houses, their families…end the feud…but only after both of their own children lay dead.  

Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy much more than a love story.  It is a tragedy of perpetual hate and violence that pollutes and destroys.

MalalaYousafzai, the 16-year-old Afghanistani girl who was shot because she spoke out for the education of girls, met with Pres. Obama…a high honor.  Not reported very widely is what she said to Pres. Obama…“I also expressed my concerns that drone attacks are fueling terrorism. Innocent victims are killed in these acts, and they lead to resentment among the Pakistani people. If we refocus efforts on education it will make a big impact.

The only way to stop the violence is to stop…just stop.  We have to.  

Brothers should not have to carry bloodied bodies of their brothers due hatred.  Mothers should not have to bury the bodies of their children due to stupid intolerance and revenge.  There is no reason.  We just have to stop.  Stop.  

Someone has to start the process of peace…why not you and me?
-Kathleen