|Maria Isidra with newborn grandson Cesar|
|Health promoter Jessenia during home visit|
- Educates women about breast cancer and cervical cancer
- Teaches women how to do breast self-exams
- Takes 30 women each month to the Ortiz Gurdián Foundation for mammograms
- Encourages women to come to the Clinic to have pap smears
- Sends the paps to a private lab for quick turn-around (under 2 weeks)
- Women with abnormal results are accompanied by the health promoter to the to remove precancerous lesions, perform directed biopsies and for regular follow-up appointments
- Since November, the Clinic has taken 96 pap smears of which 8 have come back with abnormal results. Seven have been given a clean bill of health and scheduled for regular follow up exams; one has been scheduled for a hysterectomy.
- Since March, 34 women have had mammograms, one had abnormal results and is scheduled for minor surgery this month.
|Maria Isidra with daughters Ana & Marielis & grandson Cesar|