Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Future Fridays: Heeding the Children

One of my favorite songs and one we often sing as a community is Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young’s Teach Your Children Well.*  It reminds me to listen to our children and learn from them, though they are young, or BECAUSE they are young.

Greta Thunberg was FIFTEEN years old when she started her work to make those of us who are older LISTEN and HEED the dangers of climate change. She started the Future Fridays’ movement in Sweden that is now a global movement among school-age children and teens…she is now an aged 17-year-old.

Greta Thunberg outside Swedish Parliament & Climate march - Photo Business Insider

And then there is Licypriya Kangujam who started her work at SIX years old, calling for awareness of climate change and the orphans left after disasters in India.  She has gotten climate change included as part of the school’s curriculum in one Indian state, Rajasthan[1]…she is now an ancient eight-year-old.

Licypriya leading Climate March - Photo BBC

It is children teaching us to listen to scientists.  CHILDREN.

When I was eight, I was aware of the Cuban Missile Crisis because Daddy was an army chaplain at Fort Benning, GA, but all I did was play outside and make mud pies during the day while at night I worried, but I figured Daddy would keep us safe.

When I was 15 years old, I worried about the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement.  I did NOT however hit the streets.  I wrote some essays in school, but never a letter to my congressional representatives or senator.   I figured I was helpless to change anything...but these girls are NOT helpless…

No, not Licypriya…not Greta…not the millions of teens and kids globally around the world speaking out and demanding change. 

I watched the news coverage of Greta’s impassioned speech[2] at the United Nations Climate Change Conference:

"This is all wrong. I shouldn't be standing here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean," she said with tears in her eyes. "Yet you all come to me for hope? How dare you! You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

Then later I learned of young, beautiful Licypriya saying in her speech[3] to world leaders,

“Our policy makers from around the world just gather here every year at [Climate Change Conferences] and do nothing concrete for our future…Why should I come here? Why I should speak here? I have to go to my school. I have to read my books. I have to play. I have to study. But our leaders all have ruined my childhood life and my beautiful future. This is not fair!”


No, it is not.  When will we heed the children? When we give them the life they need?
-Kathleen
*You, who are on the road
Must have a code
That you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good-bye

(chorus)
Teach your children well
Your father’s hell
Did slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked
The one you’ll know by

Don’t you ever ask them why
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you

And you of tender years
Can’t know the fears
That your elders grew by
And so please help them with your youth
They seek the truth
Before they can die

(chorus)
Teach your parents well
The children’s hell
Will slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked
The one you’ll know by

Don’t you ever ask them why
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you



[3] https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/meet-licypriya-kangujam-the-8-yr-old-indian-greta-who-is-urging-leaders-at-cop25-to-save-the-planet/articleshow/72493089.cms

NOTE: If you are reading this blog using the mobile version, click on "web version" to see the full blog with all the features including "subscribe to blog by email".  Please join us and also share on your social media.

Donate here to the ongoing work of the CDCA in Nicaragua: